Thursday, March 26, 2009



2007...the month was January, it felt like the coldest and most depressing month for me in New York. I woke up with both knees swollen and achy. At first I thought it was because of my running on the treadmill 3 times a week at the gym, so I went to the medical department at work and they did X-rays which showed nothing serious. The doctor suggested physical therapy and gave me some Flexiril (muscle relaxant). When I started with physical therapy, my knees were getting worse and looked like sausages, I was now starting to limp and wearing flats all the time instead of my cute shoes or boots. Even inside the job, I couldn't wear nothing pointing or with heels. I felt like an old woman deteriorating. Something didn't feel right, yet I continued with the physical therapy twice a week and they used heating pads for my swollen knee caps.

I started feeling tired and out of it, I was constantly out of breath. I kept going to different doctors and find out that my blood pressure was high and my joints were abnormally stiff and swollen.

I was told of possible arthritis and given various meds for blood pressure and for the joints.

Back in April 2007, my general practitioner suggested that I see a rheumotologist to check on possible lupus or arthritis.

At first, I was skeptical, I've never heard of the word "rheumotology" before. I was willing to give it a try, my symptoms were getting worse.

I didn't feel comfortable with this rheumotologist, she seemed cold and distant which is why I didn't go back to her to check on my blood work, instead I continued to suffer with the joint pains on my fingers and knees, then decided to call my Aetna insurance to be referred to a different rheumotologist. I found one in Manhattan, yet I felt like a guinea pig, she kept giving me more Prednisone and Plaquenil, kept telling me things will get better yet I didn't feel so hopeful.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ur pain...check this out..www.maxlucado.com.. helped me thru recovery of something else..tc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll come visit her more. This is information I need. Knees have been hurting-doctors said a touch of arthritic. Said I suffered out of 100 percent 1.4 percent autoimmune disease.

    ReplyDelete